Xbox One fans picking up the Collector’s Edition of the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt can expect a little extra in their version of the premium package.
A physical version of the interestingly entitled in-game card game, Gwent, will be included in the package- which also includes a huge polystone figurine of The Witcher, Geralt, battling a Griffin.
The card game has a decidedly Welsh-sounding name – Gwent being a county in Cymru (Wales), which may or may not have something to do with all the characters in the Witcher 2 having very Welsh accents.
In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Gwent is a fast-paced card game that can be played within the game on every platform.
Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play, Gwent is a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth. It’s something beloved by both road-weary travellers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties.
“Gwent is an amazing game and we’re really happy to be able to bring it to the physical realm with Microsoft’s help. Now we’ve got Gwent in every copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as an in-game experience for free on every platform, and a physical version in the Xbox One CE, how awesome is that?” said Marcin Iwiñski, CD Projekt RED Co-founder and Joint CEO.
The card game is about the clash of two armies locked in mortal struggle on a battlefield where the players are the leaders and the cards their forces. With four different factions offering unique combat styles and endless paths to victory, Gwent is every adventurer’s first choice when it comes to one-on-one card-based duelling.
Players must take risks and think on their feet, strategize and deliver cunning combos, use potent magic and mighty hero cards and be the last one standing on the field.
The key features of Gwent include:
– Over 150 unique playing cards
– 4 distinct factions: the mighty and cunning Nilfgaardian Empire, the brave Northern Realms and their siege weapons, the agile and devious Scoia’tael, and the brutal monsters of No Man’s Land.
– Powerful spells allow players to control the weather and affect units on the battlefield.
– An array of combat styles caters to individual play-styles: close range with heavy knights, long range with skilled archers or artillery with powerful siege weapons.
– Powerful hero cards, unique to each faction.
The Gwent card game bolsters and already impressive line-up for the Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The package now contains:
– The standard edition of the game, containing: the official soundtrack, a beautiful and detailed map of the in-game world, unique stickers, and the developer-created “Witcher Universe – The Compendium”
– A giant, 33x24x26 cm, 100% hand painted, Polystone figure of Geralt of Rivia battling a Griffin
– An exclusive, collector grade Witcher medallion
– A one of a kind SteelBook
– A two-hundred page artbook, containing breathtaking art from the game
– A cloth map of the game world
– Two Gwent card decks
This is great news for Xbox One fans. And to cap it off CD Projekt RED have released a 35 minute video of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay demo shown to us here at Game Console behind closed doors at this year’s E3.
Sit back, relax and enjoy.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is scheduled to launch across Australia and New Zealand on February 24th, 2015 and will be available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.